Warm up a little- nourishing winter porridge.
I know people have mixed feelings about this time of year, but you know what?
I LOVE IT!
I love having an excuse to stay inside, cuddle up with slippers, a hot water bottle, a hot guy *wink*, my cat and a good old Netflix binge.
I feel like seasons of life should be in tune with seasons of the world, and this time of year is a cue to our bodies to knuckle down, repair and rejuvenate for the fast paced season that is summer.
Winter is a time to warm your soul.
And what could be more warming than a big bowl of porridge! We've been eating a variation of this recipe in my family for my entire life, and to me winter = fruit porridge. I crave it when I'm sick and it just always makes me feel so cozy. You can make it super healthy or super decadent, and as always, it's vegan!
This recipe makes enough for 8 serves, keeps well in an airtight container and only takes a few minutes to prepare!
- 2 1/2 C quick oats
- 3/4 C mixed dried fruit (I used dates, cranberries + goji berries)
- 3/4 C raw nuts + seeds (I used pumpkin, sunflower, cashew, almond + walnuts)
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 1 T Maca powder*
- 1 T Lacuma powder
- 1 t cinnamon*
- 1 t nutmeg*
- 1/2 t vanilla powder*
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and transfer to an airtight jar.
To cook- stovetop
- Take 1/2 C of dry porridge, 1 C liquid (I use a mix of non dairy milk + water) and place in a saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and stir till boiling.
- Cook for a few minutes until mixture thickens slightly.
To cook- microwave
- Take 1/2 C of dry porridge, 3/4 C liquid (I use a mix of non dairy milk + water) and place in a heatproof, BPA free bowl
- Place in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove and stir.
- Place in the microwave for another 45 seconds.
- Remove, stir and serve.
I love to top my porridge with a little sprinkle of coconut sugar, a dash of cold milk + some fresh berries!
This recipe lends itself to endless combinations which are all equally delicious. Try it with:
- A dollop of peanut butter and a dash of maple syrup.
- Try using dried papaya, pineapple, coconut shreds and coconut cream for a tropical version.
- A scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder!
If you give this recipe a go please let me know! Leave a comment below to let me know how you liked it or tag us on Instagram @deliciousskin
Happy winter! xx Nicola.